Friday, January 09, 2009

After a month

It's been one day shy of a month since I last posted. A great deal has happened since then, to be sure. Here's a quick recap of the most recent month in the Rainbow Kingdom:

  • Right after my last poem, I caught the cold that was running around town. I was down and out for a week, coughing, hacking, sneezing, and being generally miserable. I went to the clinic and was given some beefy antibiotics. In fact, they're the same ones we give to folks with the clap. Yes, we got a lot of joke mileage about that. When you're down and out, sometimes little smiles mean the world.
  • We officially decided to get a new puppy. She's an American Hairless Terrier and we're naming her Lucretia, Lulu for short. We'll be picking her up from DIA sometime in the next 2 weeks. We've gotten the breeding rights too, and plan to start our own breeding kennel for AHT's. Check out our website: The business cards should be done next week.
  • We made a flying trip to Denver for my friend Mark's annual backyard Christmas party. Scotty and Craig drove back from Saint Louis and brought their new puppy too, an adorable miniature Aussie named Schatz (German for sweetheart). It was SO good to see them, Jerry, Adam, Kalley, and the whole Denver crew. I miss 'em all!
  • We went back to Kaycee for Christmas with Jesse's family. We had a great holiday, getting snowed in for an extra day. We took the Squidly with us too, and she managed to attract the only lesbi-tyrian in a town of 250 people. Within 5 minutes of being in the bar. We helped break in the bar's new karaoke machine, and I sang many duets with my father-in-law-to-be. Everything from Johnny Cash to Bon Jovi. Jesse and I got commemorative tattoos from his cousin's fiance - we got each other's initials on our right arms. We also made the official announcement to the whole family about the engagement. Nobody reached for torches our pitchforks.
  • Since I was off work between Christmas and New Year's but Jesse had to work, I donned my cape and tights to clean out Jesse's room in the fraternity. I think I should have asked for hazzard pay. All his fraternity brothers referred to the room as "the storage unit" as it was chock full of stuff and he's been staying with me since the middle of August. We managed to cram everything into the house somehow, and are filled to the rafters and busting at the seams. But he's got a full closet now, and we officially live together.
  • Earlier this week I caught a VERY nasty stomach flu that's rolling around town. I lost 7 pounts in 36 hours. While that's an EFFECTIVE way to lose weight, I don't recommend it at all and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Wash your hands often, don't share drinks, and be careful who you least until this bug burns itself out.

I think that's the major highlights. I wish you all the best in the new year, and look forward to another year of memories, madness, and martinis with you!

No comments: