Friday, March 21, 2014

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming

It hardly seems possible that I haven't posted anything since 2011.  Could it really have been 2.5 years since I last shared my thoughts and opinions here on my blog?  Where have I been and what  have I been up to?  It's not like I ran out of opinions or things to comment on...

One reason for my disappearance was technical difficulties.  The server where I housed my images was decommissioned, so suddenly my banner image and cute pictures on the side were lost in the ether.  It felt like a daunting task to recreate everything, and I didn't want to keep posting to a blog that was "broken," or at least looked like it. 

I've also been fairly busy during this time.  There were a number of changes at work, including my boss retiring.  That meant I was covering the work of the whole department for a time, but I managed to handle it in stride.  Work still keeps me busy today, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.  There are moments that are difficult, but that's true in every job, isn't it?

Perhaps the most significant reason I've been digitally absent is that my husband and I have been working very hard to create a family.  A friend of our agreed to be a surrogate and on Labor Day in 2012 we got the text we'd been waiting for...we were pregnant!  We tried to do things a bit differently than most, but I'll explain more about that in later posts. 

Our daughter was born in May of 2013, and my life will never be the same.  She gives me such hope and strength, and her smile can wash away any problems the day might throw my way.  It's hard to stay angry or hurt when those eyes and that smile come crawling up to me as soon as I walk in the door. 


My husband is the bio-dad, so we have to go through the adoption process here in Wyoming in order for me to be a parent in the eyes of the law.  I hope you'll follow us through the process here on my blog. 

For folks who followed me in the past, there might be a few changes to the blog.  There will still be posts about GLBTQ rights and the latest shenanigans in the news or government.  There will still be life lessons and thoughts, and I suspect many of my posts will still end with "Today's lesson."  There will also be some thoughts about parenting in general, "gay parenting," and the changes to my life since becoming a dad.

So there it is...a look back, and a look forward.  I hope you'll stick around.  My life tends to be an interesting ride.

No comments: