Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Sick Day

So it was almost 2am before my brain stopped spinning long enough to get to sleep. I also wasn't feeling well, so when I woke up this morning it was pretty clear: today was a sick day. I called by boss' voice mail and went back to sleep. To quote Mr. Frost "And that has made all the difference."

I didn't realize how much I really needed some rest. Some time to take care of myself. To be alone, and to not worry about others. (Attention friends: Please do not take that the wrong way. I am not sorry for being there for any of you at any point. Ever.) I just needed to remember to focus on myself and my own needs for a while. Funny how the body has ways of forcing us when it needs to, eh?

I got out of bed at about 10:30 this morning. I was dressed and presentable a little before 3pm, when I gassed up the car and headed to Fort Collins for an oil change. It was time for a bit of work on the car too. Imagine my suprise and glee when I learned that in addition to free oil changes, my extended maintenance package also included air filters and inspection services...all for free! I did spend about $15 and had the tired rotated, which was also due. I figure $15 is pretty cheap for a pre-roadtrip work up. I even called into Dereck and Romaine on the way home. A pretty full day, even if I didn't really do anything.

No earth shattering lesson for the day again, other than to say remember to take care of yourself. Time for yourself, even if it's not time alone, is very important. Here's my perspective from today: If I don't take care of me, I can't help take care of those around me as well as I could if I'm in a good place. So thanks to my body and the universe for the reminder and the chance to simply be. Tomorrow, we return you to your regularly scheduled work day. Or at least, I'll go back to mine. Night all!

No comments: