Sunday, March 21, 2004

Renewal

What a great weekend! DQB was so much fun! It was so nice to see "the girls" again. We had a lot of fun, and I can't wait until Bingo here for Aids Walk. I wish I could have spent more time with Joe, but once again it was not meant to be. The debate tournament was also good. I sat through some painful rounds, but also saw some good ones. I'm annoyed that we didn't get paid and feel almost misled, but I'm not sure there was intentional deception. It could have just been a misunderstanding, and I want to give the benefit of the doubt. When it comes down to it, I would have probably still judged the tournament even knowing we weren't getting paid for it. I would have been a little less likely to cowtow to what seemed like some pretty forceful demands.

We did meet some new friends, though. Not only did I get to see some friends from my past, we also met some other judges. Levi and Pam live in Powell, and we had a good time sharing stories about the horrible butchering of the Englsh language we witnessed. Even talented and gifted speakers can stumble over words, and high school students at a tournament are no exception. The tournament ended late enough that they couldn't start back to Powell, so they spent another night in town. We all went bowling, and then came back to my house for cocktails and to decorate Ostara Eggs. Drew ended up doing the decorating, as the rest of us enjoyed martinis and the like. It was a good night, but meant a LATE night.

I woke up today as the boys complained they needed to be let outside. It was a beautiful day, so I left them for a while and went back to sleep. I needed a few more hours, and as I had no major plans for the day I felt quite justified in trying to replenish some energy. When I got back up it was still gorgeous outside, so I opened doors and windows to air out the house. Breakfast for the boys, brunch for me, and food for Dora. She's been happily sitting in her cage singing to the birds in the trees out in the backyard. Spring has most assuredly sprung, and it is good.

I am reminded of what the beginning of Spring is all about. A time of re-awakening, new energy, and rebirth. The potential energy of life beginning to stir once again, peeking through from deep within the trees and underneath the snow. Greens and pinks and yellows start to show against backdrops of grey and white as the circle begins anew. It's the way I feel about my life now - starting fresh and waking up. Both mentally and physically.

And Abra's back too! I hope her trip was good, and that she's not too scarred. ;) Do I really have to go back to work tomorrow?